Arcola Community School Electronic Device Policy
Arcola Community School recognizes the fact that many students carry electronic devices on them at all times and for a variety of reasons. This policy includes, but is not limited to the following electronic devices: cell phones, smart phones, iPods, iPads, tablets, laptops, etc. Our school supports a BYOD (Bring Your Own Device) environment that contributes to enhancing student learning, as long as the following procedures are adhered to in order to respect the learning and safety of all students and staff.
School Wide Policy:
1. The device can ONLY be used under the supervision and authorization of a staff member during school hours or
- The device is not to be used during break times, which includes: bathroom breaks and outdoor recess.
- Lunch and indoor recess device usage must be authorized by a supervising staff member. This includes phone calls, texting, gaming, social media, etc.
- Social media will not be used except under direction and supervision of a staff member
- The device is not to be used for photography, or to make audio and video recordings, unless authorized by a supervising staff member. Students need to ask permission first.
2. Students are not to contact home during school hours, unless authorized by a supervising staff member. This includes:
- All phone calls and messages from any phone (mobile or landline) device.
- Answering or responding to calls, texts, or messages during instruction and class time as this disrupts their learning and the learning of others.
- Parents must contact the office if immediate communication with their child during school hours is required.
3. Arcola Community School is not responsible or liable for lost, stolen or damaged devices.
- Students who choose to bring a device to school accept full responsibility for its use and care
- Teachers have the discretion to ask students to turn in their phones before class starts to prevent misuse, theft, and/or damage.
Failure to Adhere to the Arcola Community School Electronic Device Policy:
- Initial breach of use – Device will be taken away and returned to the student at the end of the day. Homeroom teachers will document all breaches of use.
- Regular breach of use – Device will be removed and passed to administration. The homeroom teacher will provide Administration with a copy of the document of breaches. A phone call will be made home to discuss the breaches and determine the return of the device.
- Continuous breach of use – Student will no longer be allowed to bring the device to school.
Note: If any student uses a device in an inappropriate manner that directly impacts the well-being or dignity of a student or staff member, further disciplinary actions will be taken, including, but not limited to no longer being allowed to bring the device to school.
The Arcola Community School Device Policy and Procedure will be posted on the website, communicated to students directly by the teacher, posted in the classroom and a copy sent home to parents.